I'll skip my "all shoes are bad" rant, with some reluctance. Suffice it to say that wider shoes were part of the cure for my plantar fasciitis, and I've spent altogether too much money on almost-wide-enough shoes.

The New Balance "wide" widths are a little phony. In the models I've tried, 4E's are actually the same width as D's, but have a bit more vertical toe room. Still, they feel a bit better. 6E's do appear to be wider, but the heel is so wide that they're not practical for me.

Try removing the insoles, or using the green Spenco flat insoles, unless you actually need arch support. Not everyone does, contrary to the makers of arch supports. My feet feel better and are stronger since abandoning Superfeet. The change requires a period of adjustment, though.

I found that a pair of Merrell Radius (Radiuses?), sized one size up from what I measure on a Brannock device seem to work. The Radius is similar to the Pulse II, but with a slightly more rounded toe. They're leather, though, so may not meet your needs.

Keen makes some shoes that are shaped like feet (novel idea). They do tend to be either sandals or waterproof/breatheable, though. I have a pair of the Targhee's, and they're not perfect, but not too bad. You said no w/b, though. They may have a model that would work for you.

I've decided that not hurting is more important than not looking like I have big feet.