He still only guarantees 3.15” loft. It’s lucky you got 4”.

Your difference is still based on $125 V Bag which we can’t buy anymore; we have to pay $165 even though we don’t want the pillow. This is as of 12/26/07 unless Bruce changes it.

Still, look at your numbers:
“… 20-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 32” wide x 5” loft:
Campmor 20------20oz. of 550 down-----38oz tot.wt---------$120”

“…30-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 30” wide x 4” loft:
LuxuryLite V Bag-------?? oz. of ??? down----30oz tot. wt-----$125” (BTW, that $125 should be $165)

Now let’s knock some down out of the campmor bag to get it down to 4” loft. This would probably be 8oz, or 30oz total weight.
Since it’s ~$8/oz for 800 down I would suspect it to be 1/3 that for 550. Anyway, the new campmor 30F bag should be ~$20 less or $100. I don’t see how the V-Bag will catch on since it’s expensive and has been tried before.

You used weight comparisons
“Two 30-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 30” wide x 4” loft:
LuxuryLite V Bag-------?? oz. of ??? down----30oz tot. wt-----$125 (BTW, that $125 should be $165)
WM SummerLite--------10oz. of 850 down------21oz tot. wt.----$260
Difference------------------??--------??-----------------9oz-----------------$135”

I think it is worth the extra $95 (not $135 BTW) in materials and workmanship for the much warmer and lighter bag. Also the WM takes up less space in the backpack. Bruce does point out for cold nights (30F?) that you would need a coat in the V bag. You don’t have to with the WM SummerLite. I see two reasons here:
1. The top zipper of the V Bag. It promotes down shifting to the sides (instead of staying on top). That’s why top zippers haven’t been popular (though tried several times).
2. The web site even says there’s less down in the torso.

Another note. You also stated “I understand the difference in total weight due to the heavier fabric in the Campmor bag, but I don’t see how 20oz. of 550 can equal 19oz. of 850 down? And the equal 20-degree rating when the AlpinLite has a down collar and the Campmor does not.”

You’re right. They’re not equal. Two things going on here: Campmor is using a heavier bag material (though rugged) that squishes the loft of the down (thus limiting warmth); and Campmor is VERY liberal on its temperature rating; campmor actually needs more 550 down to equal the 850 down.

Back to the original poster, I do not think this V-bag is a true 35F bag. You need to wear a coat for those temps.

The V-Bag looks fine for a quilt. But aren’t there cheaper and lighter quilts out there (for same temperature)?

-Barry