Lots of ways to prime a Svea. Crack the valve, then close it, warm the base with your hands or a lighter, then re-open the valve. Fuel will dribble down the valve body into the priming indention. I carry a nose spray bottle full of alcohol or camp gas for priming sometimes in hot weather. You can also blow in the fuel filler hole to make fuel come out the valve in a pinch. I've also used a plastic soda straw with my thumb over one end to pull fuel from the tank.
The original intent was to use warm hands. The stove can be warmed inside your jacket or parka too. Any temperature differential to get the fuel to expand will work. hand/body warming doesn't work in hot weather or when the tank is low.

I think the "self-pressurizing" description is accurate. Once the stove is primed, heat and vapor back pressure do pressurise the stove tank, much the same way a Coleman Peak I continues to pressurize after you pump it the first time. With the Svea you never had to pump it up....it 'self pressurizes". Otherwise, the Svea wouldn't continue to burn hotter and hotter as pressure builds.