I love hiking off-trail. You are less likely to meet people or to see any trace of human presence. But even in the most remote places, someone has been there before you and you can sometimes find what mark they left. Because of this, I always minimize my own signs of passing thru - there will be someone after me and it would be nice to maintain the illusion for them too. This summer, I went on a 12 day hike thru a relatively remote wilderness. At one point, a day after leaving a trail, I found a moose skull, exposed and sun-bleached on a high plateau. Anyone passing by within a 1000ft radius would have probably found it. Because it was still there after several years, I figured mine were the only human eyes to see it. Half a day later, I rested for a while in a small patch of grass in a forest opening near a creek. Here, even further from civilization than the skull, I found signs of someone before me: two stakes a hunter or guide used to hobble his horses for the night driven into the ground. Later that same trip, on a broad expanse of a massive plateau with no trails, I found a bit of plastic probably from a pulk. In other trail-less and difficult to reach places, I've found part of a ski-pole, a compass, a collapsible cup (made from white metal and probably lost over 50 years earlier), a rusted axe, nesting pots, china plates, empty liquor bottles. No matter where you go, someone has been there before. Which is why no trace is important everywhere.