I cut the baffles into 2 1/2" strips and used 1/4" on each edge when attaching- so the baffles had close to 2". The down was old and heavy compared to modern down, but it did not cost anything since it came from an old bag that I would never have carried again. I have not had the thermometer out this fall, but I think I have ad it into the upper thirties already (at elevation). It is the soo muck more comfortable than a zipper style bag, but therein lies its weakness for much colder conditions. My usual goal is to make gear as cheaply and quickly as possible. I try to use things that are free and do not usually go any great extremes with making things too hard in order to get a special quality aspect. Durability is important, of course. This was made quickly with low budget materials, but compared to spending 300 for something similar in weight (off the shelf) it works and I made it so I love it. One thing I must put emphasis on is that in colder conditions I use it in a bivy-so that does add to the warmth. I made a bivy that has a tyvek bottom and the same material as the quilt for the top. There is no condensation at all and it sheds wind and water splatters and helps to keep the quilt against my body. But after so many nights in the quilt I no longer have problems when I roll over. At first when I rolled I would end up rolling the quilt with me - but now I just roll, reach around grab and tuck- then I am snug and perfectly cozy.