Btw....I made these cookies this past October for a very cold trip on the PCT. Pure fat bombs - and I ate every single one I brought. I could have ate another dozen. Oops.

This Tuesday while packing for my trip I was making a number of batches of cookies for my son's class. One of the batches were Soft Peanut Butter Cookies.

The recipe is posted on RecipeZarr. My version is here:

1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

FILLING
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-6 Tbsp milk

Use a mixer to cream together shortening, peanut butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs.

Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.

Shape into 1 inch or so balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 375 F for about 8-12 minutes until golden. When you take them out, they will be a bit soft but leave them on the sheet for a couple minutes and they will continue to cook.
Remove from the sheet and cool on wire racks.

When cool, in a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth with mixer. With the milk add in enough to get it for spreading.

Spread on one half of cool cookies and top each with another cookie.

Recipe made about 30 filled cookies (yes, my cookies tend to be bigger than the recipes call for).

These cookies are fat bombs, no way to deny that. We ate them on our trip and enjoyed them very much in the cold weather. I wrapped each cookie up in plastic wrap and carried them in a freezer bag. The cookies are very moist and dense, so handled being smashed around.