i confess, i'm afraid. it isn't rational, i know, but the fear is there anyway. i leave tomorrow on my first solo in WAY over 2 years, and i'm scared. of what? don't laugh.

i'm afraid i'll be eaten by a cougar. why do i have such a silly fear, you ask? because i live (and will be hiking) within 10 or so miles of where that mountain biker was eaten by a cougar a few years ago. i know, they killed the cougar that did it. i know that i'll primarily be on a ridgeline for this trip and that cougars will mostly be down in the canyons, where the deer are.

but i can't help it. ever since that poor fellow was eaten, i have been cougar paranoid in my own backyard. i have this nightmare that i'll be laying in my sleeping bag, alone, and i'll hear a huge animal pad into my camp. it'll break my neck and start eating my guts while i'm still alive! i know it's only a psychological barrier, but i've actually opted for an enclosed shelter instead of a tarp for just this reason.

so c'mon, do your old pal tarbubble a favor. tell her she has a better chance of dying in a car crash on the way to the trailhead. tell her cougar-human predation is ridiculously rare. tell her something!