Depends on what you mean by “friendly.” If you mean the dog comes over to jump up on me, lick my face, etc., then I’ll disagree that they should run free. Just because you might like those shows of affection (and I realize that’s what they are: the dog expressing pleasure at seeing me.) However, I don’t particularly enjoy being jumped on, or licked. Just because it’s a natural reaction doesn’t mean I should be required to tolerate it.

This is not an anti-dog rant. I’d feel the same if you tried to give me a hug I didn’t want (or jumped up on me, or licked my face. smile )

However, I have no problem with the dog that comes up, tail wagging, and lightly sniffs me for a second, then leaves me alone.

And, for what it’s worth, a leash isn’t a guarantee against such behavior. I’ve encountered owners with those 30-foot reel thingies who just let them unwind as the dog runs over to “greet” me.

In the end, I guess I’d have to say that it’s as much the attitude and behavior of the owner as much as it is the dog. I feel more abused by the owner of the dog who says “don’t worry - he’s friendly” while doing nothing to control the dog (verbally or physically) than I do by the dog.

And just to be fair: those problem dogs and problem owners represent less than 5% of the encounters I’ve had in the backcountry. The vast majority are no problem, and there are some who are a downright pleasure to be around.