Originally Posted By slammer
I'm still using a North Face UL Down bag I bought some time around 1991. I think it retailed at around 500 or 600 at the time and I grabbed it at a season clearance for 300. At the time I thought I was an idiot for spending so much for a bag. It was really my hiking buddy who talked me into it. I should probably thank him next time I see him. It still keeps me warm and weights in at about 1.5 lbs

The North Face Hightail 3S is heavy by modern standards. A regular sized Marmot Phase 20 (20F), 850 down sleeping bag, is almost as warm as the 3S, costs about the same, yet it is nearly 250 grams lighter than a regular sized Hightail 3S. Even if you wear extra clothing, like ultralight thermal top and bottom, to address the slight difference in warmth, the Phase 20 will still be lighter than a 3S. I couldn't afford either bag though so I compromised and went for an even lighter option...The Marmot Phase 30 (30f), 850 down sleeping bag, as its at least £100 cheaper (I paid £320) and because it only weighs 500 grams!...A whopping 407 grams lighter than a 3S!