I’ve been keeping track of the weight of fuel canisters for several years and for several brands including Snow Peak, Primus and MSR. The weights among manufacturers is remarkably close. For the “4 oz” containers, container weight is 3 oz. +/- 0.07 oz. The “8 oz.” size have a container weight of 5 oz. +/- 0.08 oz. My 500 ml. Primus white gas fuel bottle weighs a bit over 4 oz. So, for short trips there is a modest container weight savings with the small canister. Of course, the canister stove I use weighs 2.8 oz, light in comparison with any of the white gas stoves. And, the much reduced fiddle factor with canister stoves makes life a bit easier.

I like coffee and hot chocolate in the morning and herb tea with my dinner so I use more fuel than the average bear. I plan on about an ounce of propane per day. It would take at least 2-3 oz. of alcohol for the equivalent amount of heating. And, the hassle of firing up a white gas stove 2-4 times in the morning and again at night is a major PITA as well as using a lot of priming fuel.

I guess I’m happy to haul along a bit more fuel container, if necessary, in exchange for easier cooking, at least for 3-season use.