Originally Posted By EMT Dave
I am currently 64 and most of what I struggle with is trying to get my pack weight down to a more manageable level...
My boot weight is good and I am moving increasingly toward trail shoes with some kind of light camp shoe...
I am still stuck at like 30 to 34 lbs...it needs to be more like 24 lbs...
Distance...Even on the AT, most of the folk I meet hover around 10 mpd...

I posted the piece above and find it is now too late to edit it. I no longer carry camp shoes. With the right low weight shoe it is not necessary. I may, if I know the terrain use running shoes for some trips.
I am still working on a menu, but I like to eat.
My shelter will probably end by being an ultralight A frame I made from an old tent that had a fly. It offers bug protection which some other options (including my feather weight MSR) do not. My trekking poles can be used as tent poles.
My stove is still an issue. The weight of a propane stove is negligible, but the weight of the canister is a killer. For short trips it is not much better, if at all than a liquid fuel stove. I may end with a Trangia clone and alcohol. The wood stove was just too heavy and slow to start. I do not see other options.
I need to buy a better sleeping bag that is warm enough for three seasons but does not have a 4.5 lbs. deficit.
I have realized that Nalgene bottles are heavy at six ounces each for a liter bottle. I now use my older octagonal bottles (no brand name) or soda bottles which are one third the weight of Nalgene. By replacing three Nalgene bottles with two soda bottles and a bladder, I can save 12+ ounces on water storage alone.
My decision to purchase a small, accurate electronic scale and adapt it to backpacking purposes may be crucial to this process. It has already yielded substantial weight benefits. I encourage you all to invest in one if you have not already.
The struggle goes on. Progress also hopefully.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/02/17 08:10 PM)