Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Your early 80s, or the 1980s? smile (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Welcome and keep hiking. At 67 (I also began in the early 80s) I find I can't hike as far as I used to in a day, and can't handle some of the aggressive terrain I used to. I've also learned that the love of the eastern US forests is still as strong as ever, and that the hikes and the nights spent camping are just as sweet.
I'm also a huge fan of Colin Fletcher. The original Complete Walker got me started.

I am currently 65.
I found that I can indeed hike about as long as I did in my 20s, but I clearly needed more breaks at the top of hills. Beyond question is that I need to get my pack weight down even more that I have already. In last summer's overnight breakdown cruise, I had to carry some gear, food and water for my companion who is smaller than I and less accustomed to exercise. It was too heavy a load at around 35 lbs., although clearly I had too much food and having to carry water for both of us did not help. Still, I need to get my pack weight down to like 18 lbs. or so without food or water.
Still, it is an easy price to pay to be back in the mountains I love.
Oh. And Colin. God bless his heavy toting, irascible Welsh ass. He has given me gifts which cannot be over rated. I hope he is happy where ever he is.