Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
It appears that my problem is that my phone does not hold a charge as long as others do. I have a prepaid Tracfone which costs me about $10 per month and the basic phone cost me about $50. I cannot begin to justify a phone bill of $50/month. I make about 2 to 5 calls per week and text a couple of times per month. If I just use the phone to make phone calls the charge is down to 50% at the end of the week. If I use it to do things like check email the charge is down to 50% in two days. I would guess that reading a book would discharge the battery in one or two nights. I have access to a computer or my Kindle on WiFi almost full time so I really do not have a lot of use for an iPhone.

If using a phone as backcountry entertainment or navigation ever became something you were interested in doing, you could always get a used, deactivated phone or an ipod touch. People are a bit nuts about upgrading to the latest and greatest, so you can get the second most recent model for a song sometimes. If you know who to ask, they might even give it to you for free. And, without the cellular data turned out, the battery life is far better.