I view a bivy as optional.

They can offer wind, rain, splash, and bug protection along with a bit of extra warmth.

Some like a borah event bivy can be used stand alone without a tarp, but ideally you want to use a bivy in conjunction with a tarp which basically makes the need for full waterproofness moot and becomes a question of splash protection.

Personally in your situation, if you're happy tarping without a bivy I would suggest getting a S2S nano bugnet, its more like a tent inner, has no bottom, can be used sitting round camp as a huge full body headnet and only weighs 90 odd grams.

If you want more crawly protection - I don't believe you really need it - you could go full bugnet bivy with a CF or silyny bottom. Borah gear and MLD make good ones.

Unless you're travelling somewhere with really warm weather I'd actually say go with a normal splash bivy with bugnet on the top area.

It ads a bit of warmth to your sleeping system, gives some minimal splash protection, bugproof's and its a fair bit lighter than full bugmesh. Again, Borah / MLD are my picks.

Avoid alpine bivies or whatever - they are not what you want.

Edited by aimless (09/25/17 12:56 PM)
Edit Reason: removed profanity, as per board rules