I am planning a trip to Grand Staircase Escalante, for August,, 2-3 days I am looking for a partner or two or three to go out there. Dogs and Kids are fine, but please make sure they are old enough and experienced enough to hike up to 6 miles in the desert with a backpack, and no aggressive dogs. I will be travelling from Gallup, NM and will be going up a road by vehicle, then offroad through a very small part of Navajo Nation land and onto Federal Land (San Juan River banks) I have Navajo Nation access permission due to being a relative. The location I am going to is on Federal Land, but, the road that leads to the location I am visiting is on Navajo land.

So, we will go up that trail, hike in about 3 miles to the location and camp on the San Juan River. I don't care what you want to do, if you are hunting or fishing, fine, as long as it is legal. Certainly Navajo Nation permits are inexpensive. I only bring my rifle for protection.

I also have an interest in securing some clay from the river area for art purposes which I am acquiring a permit for.

The location is north of Monitor Butte (not central Utah, Southern), off of sjc rd 423

This is an unusual trip, and, perhaps a bit off the beaten track, but it is very secluded I'm sure, and there is the river to cool off in.

A little about me:

I am an artist, interested in stargazing and science. I don't care if you're religious or atheist, just no iconoclasts or proselytizers please. It's okay if you want to talk about theology. I am a talkative person, so you should know that and not be annoyed about it. Both my parents are pipe carriers so if you are interested in aspects of American Indian ritual belief I can tell you more about that.

I have extensive experience in Northern Idaho wilderness, Washington Pacific Northwest advanced trail systems, light Pacific Northwest Washington wilderness, extensive Eastern Washington wilderness navigation.

I have no experience with desert hiking, but I do live here and know the climate and the challenges of the altitude and dryness.

360-688-1242

Edited by Ningishzidda (07/05/17 08:34 PM)