If you've camped before and hiked, then you're halfway home! smile

As Glenn already pointed out, the two main categories of sleeping bag are down-filled or synthetic-filled. If you can afford down-filled, all I can say is get one!

Once you've got that far in your decision-making process, you'll be confronted by "temperature ratings". The best advice here is, first, do not believe the number, because it is always overly optimistic. If it is an "EN-Rated" bag, the number is a bit more reliable, but still optimistic, and at least the EN ratings are consistent across all manufacturers and models. An EN-rated bag claiming "25 degrees" will be almost exactly as warm any other EN-rated bag that claims "25 degrees". My rule of thumb is to figure out the coldest night I expect to face, based on the season, the elevation and the forecast, then carry a sleeping bag rated about ten degrees below that, for comfort.

The next thing to know about sleeping bags is how well you'll fit inside it. That's its length and 'girth'. Girths vary a fair amount. If you are especially big around, you'll need a bigger girth. Lengths are pretty standardized. Regular length is generally good up to 6 feet tall. If you're very tall, pick an extra-long bag.

Try not to get a bag so big you'll swim around in it. Too big bags will be heavier and bulkier than necessary and won't hold your heat as well.

The last really big thing to consider is weight. You'll have to carry the dang thing! Overall, down-filled bags are warmer per pound than synthetic ones. A down-filled bag will tell you about how much loft it has per ounce of down as a number: usually 650, 750, or 800. The higher the number the pricier the bag, but the less the whole bag will weigh. Less weight for the same warmth is A Good Thing.

As for getting a bag that fits into your pack, sleeping bags can be compressed, especially down-filled bags. There are special compression sacks you can use to smash them into remarkably small sizes. And just because there is a place in your pack a sales person called a "sleeping bag compartment" doesn't mean you have to put a sleeping bag there. Pack your pack any way that works best for you.

That should give you some ideas to chew on. laugh

P.S. If you can by chance get ahold of any of the books by Colin Fletcher, titled "The Complete Walker", nab it and read it. The equipment shown will all be outdated, but the general advice is still the best, most sensible introduction to backpacking I know of.

Edited by aimless (07/01/17 06:32 PM)
Edit Reason: Added a postscript