I do agree that immigration is an important social issue to deal with. The wholesale migrations that are occurring now are highly disruptive to societal organizations as they now exist. It's an unresolved question as to whether this is the "creative destruction" that is alleged to bring about huge advances (including all the technology we can't live without) or destructive destruction that will introduce chaos and usher in a new version of the Dark Ages.

However, the issue I'm most concerned with is whether there will be any humans left to argue those points.

I'm also thinking that it comes down to whether we control our destiny, or just lurch toward an obvious population reduction such as plague, climate change, war, etc. (by the way, the privileged won't be able to shelter from this: the stuff they need to shelter is made by the non-privileged who will not be able to shelter. The flow of stuff dries up, and the privileged become under-privileged quite quickly.)

I'm hoping we choose to control our destiny, but am not optimistic. Our current political leadership is too involved in trying to count coup on one another to try to solve anything (headed by the largest narcissist to ever hold the office.) No altruism or long-term vision from the US, then. The developing world (Asia, Africa, South America) is too busy trying to stay alive to spend any time or resources providing leadership for this problem. Europe may be the best hope for leadership out of the current crisis; they seem to be most interested in trying, at present. Personally, I believe it will take immense altruistic efforts to reduce consumption (voluntarily reducing our standard of living by 25% or more) and have negative population growth, not just zero growth. It will also take a huge "outreach" effort to unselfishly use a chunk of our wealth to rapidly raise the standard of living of the developing world to the point that they can think beyond surviving for today, and be in a position to also implement negative population growth.

I'd give us a 40-60 chance, at best.