Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
If you are going to introduce grizzlies, you need to allow hunting. Hunted animals are generally more skittish of humans. Maybe just official state hunters until they establish, but getting shot at regularly will help.

I personally am not in favor of re-introducing grizzlies to the lower 48. If they want to increase numbers there seems to be plenty of very remote, not used land still in Canada and Alaska.

The large group size seems to be the best protection.

OM- is Phat still on the forum? He has done lots of backpacking in grizzly country.

It's refreshing to hear a common-sense voice on a backpack forum.

ALL my backpacking is in grizzly country. My wife and I ALWAYS carry spray, are religious about a clean camp, a 100% food-free tent, and ALWAYS hang food high and well away from camp (where possible).

Frankly, I'm far less concerned about grizzlies on established trails during the summer backpack season than I am when I do my fall, wilderness area backpack-elk hunt. Fall bears are more aggressive than summer bears, and hunting is way off established trails where bears expect the presence of people. Also, one is doing everything "wrong" when hunting, ie., covering scent, minimizing noise, acting like a predator. That's why the bulk of negative grizzly encounters are in the fall.

I love that grizzlies inhabit the world I live in, they just need a limited-draw hunting season on them set by state biologists... thankfully here in MT it's coming soon.