I used that same monocular on my backpack trips, and always enjoyed having it around. My niece (and backpacking buddy) eventually decided my pack was too heavy, and unselfishly offered to carry it for me. Haven't seen it since, but she says she really likes it, too.

I have two small pairs of binoculars that we bought for an Alaska cruise. One is an REI brand set of 10x25 waterproof from their "XR and W6 series," according to the instructions (couldn't find a model number on the binoculars themselves.) Weight is about 14 ounces without the nylon case, 17 ounces with.

The other is a Tasco 10x25 set (no model or series noted, but it does have "fully coated optics" for whatever that's worth.) I think I picked them up at Walmart on my way to inventory repeater units on cell towers (the client wisely declined to let me climb the tower. Some nonsense about liability insurance premiums being high enough without me driving them up. smile ) That set weighs 8 ounces without the nylon case, 10 ounces with.

Both worked very well; I preferred the REI set, but didn't really have any issues with the Tasco. We spent a lot of time sitting on deck looking at the coastlines and mountains. I braced them by putting my elbows on a rail or chair arms, and didn't have any noticeable problem with unsteadiness.

I'm really not an optics expert - "they worked OK" is about the depth of my knowledge.