Ditto to not being female --- and I won't even pretend I can know just what that feels like in terms of contemplating a solo hike.

But I've done a ton of solo hiking; some of the concerns (even fears) that people have aren't gender based so much as just "what if something stalks and eats me" or "what if I get hurt and no one is around to help". Typically ones parents, friends, significant others will helpfully put such thoughts in your head if they're not already there.

In doing long distance hikes I've run into quite a lot of solo women hikers. When you're hiking one of the long distance trails, and particularly the PCT or the AT, there's a sort of gypsy community feel as you encounter a whole lot of other people doing the same thing. Some women join a group of one or more others, sometimes all female, sometimes mixed. Some continue to hike alone for whatever reason, or do what I do --- hike for a few hundred miles with one or more people until the trail separates you, then hike for a few hundred miles alone. I find both to be great options.

If hiking in a long distance community context, the community sort of looks after its own.

My own feeling is that, with some reasonable amount of experience and wisdom, common sense, the biggest risks are as you get closer to trailheads, closer to other people. Having a sort of radar and trusting your feelings is important. Maybe having a small container of mace that you can spray is a good idea too. But just by myself in the woods --- animals, weather, insects, whatever you might be concerned about --- I feel safer there than in a city, certainly safer than driving on the freeway.

whiteblaze.net has a forum dedicated just to women hikers; I'm sure this question has been asked there, so you might want to have a look.

Best wishes for a great trip!