Originally Posted By Mario Smith
I haven't understood very much the difference between mountaineering and backpacking. I think mountaineering is something very hard on the summits(or near), especially in winter, for long periods. Backpacking instead, it can be from any guy I see with a large backpack in Milan to the USA fellows who sleep in a tent/bivy and enjoy wilderness in national park or even Alaska(and of course, outside USA too) [b]What I'll do is Backpacking(I'll give more details) overnights, more than 5+ days, maybe by the time I've experience, weeks. Said that, I've a bit of the ultralight philosophy but I'd care some things that aren't ultralight. Never more than 50 pounds, best 40, unless there are very good reason to carry more weight.

I asked because with mountaineering you'd have all the ropes and climbing gear that would add weight. I don't understand why you'd carry 40 pounds normally. I don't carry more than 30 pounds for a week long above treeline trip. I'm not saying you need to be that light, but don't carry more weight than you really need.

All the big name makers like Gregory and Osprey should be fine for quality. I originally had planned to get a Gregory Z55 I think it was called. Thankfully, I discovered lightweight backpacking before I bought much gear and ended up with a Golite Pinnacle instead that weighed much less. This is its equivalent today. I doubt it could carry 40 pounds well without some modifications (and I have carried 40 pounds fine with minor modifications).