Same eclipse, but in Moses Lake, WA on a coudy day. Fortunately the really thick clouds didn't arrive until just after totality. It was well worth experiencing, and we could watch from our back yard.

Just a warning: Lodging in or close to the path of totality has been solidly booked for several years. The rare cancellations on rooms are going for $1,000-$1.500 per night. Campgrounds taking reservations are full. Oregon's Dept. of Transportation expects horrendous traffic jams of those trying to drive to and from the path of totality on the day of the eclipse.

With three of us trying, my daughter scored a campground site in the path of totality for Sunday, Aug. 20 through Tues, Aug. 22. I got another site for Monday, Aug.21 (eclipse day) through Tuesday--the campgrounds are emptying out after the eclipse.. Limit per campsite is 6 and there will probably be about 10 of us. Some of us will have to start driving from Portland about 1 am the 21st and hope we can make it down there. At least we won't have to drive back the same day! I'm watchhing for cancellations and will also try for first-come, first-serve sites the week before.

Your best bet is to backpack into an isolated (maybe several days from the trailhead) place not requiring permits and expect things to be crowded. Unfortunately, for my family group that is not an option.

Be sure to take eye protection with you! Safety issues and approved brands of eclipse glasses on this NASA site. You don't want to end up blind or with blind spots burned into your retinas!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/17 01:36 PM)