Simple analysis:

ZPacks Solplex $c 850 Weight 439 g plus 8 stakes 67 g = 506 g
Tarptent Protrail $c 370 Weight including stakes 740 g

Difference $c 480 234 g

Cost difference per gram = $480 / 234 = $2.05 per gram
This does not include possible customs duty, which I know nothing about.

Only you can decide if the weight difference is worth it.

Yes, cuben is more prone to punctures and, I suspect, even with gentle treatment may not last quite as long. It has a history of doing well in hailstorms, but doesn't like sharp pointed branches. On the other hand, it doesn't stretch when wet like silnylon. (The latter never bothered me, but YMMV). Cuben is more translucent so provides less privacy, should that be important to you. I try to camp well off-trail, but if I know I'm going to be in a site with others I'll use my Tarptent.

I have an older ZPacks tent and two older Tarptents. I have used the ZPacks tent only a couple of times, so can't give you an estimate on wear. The older Tarptents have held up well under a lot of use. Newer Tarptents use a slightly heavier silnylon than what's in my 2005 and 2007 models, so should be more durable. Grandkids and dog have run at full speed through my Tarptent guylines several times without any damage! (Haven't tried the ZPacks with dog, who has since passed away, and use it only for solo trips, no grandkids.) Other than those incidents, I have treated my Tarptents very carefully, no different than the ZPacks.

Otherwise, my experience is that the first thing that goes out in any tent is the screen door zipper! I don't think there's any difference between the two tents there. Of course, the zipper is fairly easily replaced.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/10/17 11:25 AM)