I carry a chair kit for my sleeping pad - and not a light one.

I used to carry a Thermarest Compack chair kit and fold over the full-length pad to make a chair. Then I discovered I could let it extend out through the bottom sleeve of the kit, so that about a fourth of it supported my back and the rest was under my legs and hips, like a lounge chair. Then I got nervous about puncturing the pad and started carrying a tent footprint to go under the chair. Total weight, about 12-14 ounces.

Then, for Christmas I got the Thermarest Lounger - a full-length envelope that lets me leave the pad inside full-time and eliminates the footprint. Weight is about 18 ounces. Heavy, yes. But, if I can still keep my total load for a weekend under 20 pounds, I''m fine with it.

The comfort of being able to sit with my back relaxed and my legs and stocking feet off the ground (and warm) has gone from luxury (five years ago, at 62) to near-necessity. I unclip the side straps and it turns into a sleeping pad, then clips back into chair mode the next morning - ease of use is also worth something to me.