Sometimes I use a hydration bladder with a hose, just to make it easy to drink along the way.

But when I don't, I've never found a pack with a built-in water bottle holder that I like. You can find if you look an add-on bottle holder that you can attach to the side of the pack waist belt, and that's what I prefer. There are rigid foam ones that hold their shape; those are easy to use insofar as it's easy to put the bottle back in place. I also have a nylon one that collapses small and is a little lighter, but I have to fiddle with both hands to put it back after drinking.

I'm a big fan of getting one sized to a half liter bottle. A full liter is, IMO, too much weight to put at my waist like that, and a half liter is generally enough if I'm not in a dry environment. The half liter size can also accomodate not only a standard half liter nalgene, but also a 20 oz gatorade bottle.

In terms of attachment, these typically have a sort of fabric loop with velcro to close the loop up. Some have an "open" loop where you just pull apart the velcro, put the loop behind a side strap, then close it. I don't like those, as I've had the experience of my bottle and bottle holder falling off of my pack that way. I like a closed loop, which is the same, except that the loop is stitched down at the bottom as well as the top. Have to unstrap the little side strap to get it in, or maybe shove the whole waist belt through the loop if it fits. In the latter case, the water bottle holder and bottle can fall off when you're putting on or taking off the pack, but is otherwise secure.

Maybe too much information! Hope you find something that works well for you.