Originally Posted By HPD
Did a trip from N to S there a couple years ago. Here's the trip report link if you're interested. It was a great trip! Hope your's goes well!!

http://www.summitpost.org/a-short-walk-in-the-grand-canyon-rim-to-rim/988361

This is a great write up and great pictures, thanks for sharing! We've opted to skip the developed sites this time but the ranger programs and film your describe sound interesting. On the last night we'll be staying just a few miles from Indian Gardens on the Tonto Trail, maybe if we're up for a night hike we'll come back some programs.

One of my highest priorities this trip is to see some Native American ruins, primarily the ones accessible from Clear Creek. I'm poring over lots of trip reports and, of course, Butchart's book for hints on how to find the ruins and also ways to get up Phantom Canyon in one piece! (The "Bonzai Route" is an ominous name, and the Utah Flats Route only seems a little saner.)

I'd hoped to stay in the Bright Angel Lodge on the night before our hike in but it was full so I booked a site at the Mather Campground. It's frustrating that peak-period permit seekers can't make hotel reservations in time since we don't know the precise dates until well after the hotels are booked. I'll keep checking and see if a room opens up, it would be nice to start the first early morning warm, well-rested, and all packed up the night before.

Since we'll be flying into Las Vegas we're planning to stop at Zion National Park first. I've never been there but the pictures I've seen look amazing. We're even considering trying for an overnight permit in the Narrows, although I gather that the water levels are hard to predict so we'll have to be flexible.