The Leatherman Squirt PS4 is my go-to knife. It weighs 1.9 oz., has pliers, scissors, etc. There used to be a version that had the scissors as the primary tool, but I didn't look to see if it's still there--look at the Leatherman site to find out. The blade doesn't lock, but I've never used a knife with a locking blade and never have missed it. My first instructions in using a knife (at age 6) stressed that I never rely on the knife to stay open and handle it accordingly. On th other hand, I've never had the blade of mine ever try to close on me when i'm using it.

I use the pliers a lot, primarily as a pot-grabber, but also when threading straps through buckles and other such tasks--I don't have enough fingertip strength to grasp the tiny edge of the strap and pull it through. The pliers are also useful for fishing. For me, those pliers are essential! Other blades I use are the largest screwdriver (to help push webbing straps through tight buckles, or to loosen them for adjustment, or for various prying tasks), the file (for my frequently splitting fingernails), the scissors (for trimming my frequent hangnails and Bandaids as well as for manicure/pedicure), the smallest screwdriver for tightening the screws on my glasses. I even use the knife blade on occasion.

For me, for less than an ounce more than the tiny Swiss knife, the additional functions of the Squirt are well worth it. Buy a knife to suit your individual needs, not for what others tell you. Just don't spend additional money/weight on functions you'll rarely, if ever, use.