Hello,

I am looking for a good backpack for longer trips and could use some experience and/or opinions. Right now, I have a Kelty Redwing 44 (I think its 44), and an Ascend MS5400 from Bass Pro. I use the Kelty for weekend trips and is great. The Ascend claims to be 5400 cubic inches and I use it for longer trips or for basecamping trips with more gear. However, it seems smaller than it claims, I feel that it is a bit on the heavy side, and even though I am a beginner, I feel that it doesn't carry a heavy load (40lbs) all that great.

So I guess what I am looking for is a large-capacity backpack that is lightweight and can carry a heavy load comfortably. I looked at Gregory, the Kelty Coyote and some REI-brand packs, but like the Osprey features a little better (like the external hydration bladder). I have narrowed down my options to an Osprey Aether 70 or 85; however, I am still considering the Atmos 65 even though it is smaller in size (primarily because of weight), and now I just saw the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor (60L - 2lbs 11oz)!

Do hikers really use a 60-65L for week-long hikes? ...seems small, but maybe I am packing too much. Is an 85 too big??

I'll be purchasing the pack for the Teton Crest Trail, but obviously will use for other future hikes. Thanks for the responses.