The moisturizers you mention do not block the UV rays, which are what causes skin cancer. Far more effective are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in a sufficiently thick coating to look opaque, despite the clown-like appearance. Please talk to your physician about this!

I also am allergic to sunscreen. Also, having grown up in an era when tanning was considered healthy, and a good burn and peel at the beginning of the season was considered helpful to my acne-plagued complexion, I now have several precancerous skin lesions being monitored. In the meantime, I must be extra careful to protect my skin from sun. I rely on long pants, long sleeved shirt (both of fabric with a high tested SPF rating), hand protectors (cover the backs of my hands but not the front, so not hot like gloves, and especially useful with trekking poles), and a very dorky but effectively shady hat (Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat). In fact, I wear the hat around town a lot and ignore the stares (the neighborhood has gotten used to it).

Dermatologists are now beginning to realize that in many cases, sunscreen doesn't protect from skin cancer. I became downright paranoid about this a few years ago when my eldest son's wife had most of her upper lip removed due to skin cancer (she works outdoors year-around).

Edited by OregonMouse (09/16/16 12:53 PM)