Most medication doesn't have strong odors that would attract bears or other varmints (think raccoons, mice, ground squirrels, crows). The exception would be flavored chewable tablets which I, for one, would never take on a backpacking trip--and which do belong in the canister.

Sronger odors (like food, food-like flavorings, and perfumes will certainly go right through the packaging and need to go into the canister, Ursack or hung food bag.

Even odor-proof bags don't block all the odors, although they block most. There was an article on BPL some years ago where the local police and their trained drug dogs tested odor-proof bags containing pot and hidden inside lockers t (this was not in a state where said substance is legal). The dogs went straight for the drugs.

I did some tests with the late Hysson using his dog food. In double freezer bags, he went right to it and started trying to get at the food. With a single freezer bag plus an odor-proof sack, he took a sniff and then walked away, even though he'd already been conditioned with food packages on the floor.

Of course a bear's sense of smell is many times more powerful than a dog's! So all I proved with my experiment was that if I used OP sacks for the dog food, the dog wouldn't get into it!