I have chosen to only fly fish, because the gear weighs less than spin fishing.

My fly rod (5 oz) is a four piece rod (early 1970's)and not a huge investment if it broke. I am sure there are lighter and better rods out there nowadays. I pack it inside that dark gray split foam pipe insulation (1.5 oz) and secure with rubber bands. As long as I pack the rod solidly on the side of my pack it is fairly well protected. I have also done bubble wrap which weighs less, but is more of a pain to use and does not protect as well.

I also have a really cheap old reel - very light weight. I only put the length of line that I can cast (not that far!) plus 2 feet. I have never lost line or needed to cut it. No point in carrying extra line weight. Granted, IF it were to break my fishing would end. I take one extra tapered leader. (3.5 oz line, leader and reel)

I only take one plastic 35mm film can of flies. I find that just to catch dinner, I really do not need to match hatch or anything like that. On some trips I will have the same fly on the end for days in a row. If I loose all the flies, I simply stop fishing. So far, I have not run out of flies. (0.4 oz)

I use a small 1-oz kitchen knife. It does make cleaning more difficult. I used to get them for a couple of dollars at the supermarket. Lately, I have not seen any. So now my husband sharpens the old ones before each trip.

I carry small scissors in my first aid kit so use this to cut line. I also have to have my bifocals to see well enough to tie on a fly, but I also need them to read a map, so do not consider them strictly fishing gear.

Two gallon sized zip-lock freezer bags to haul fish. One 3-foot stringer (those very light bright colored ones that feel almost like plastic cord). These items weigh about 1 oz. and not absolutely needed- I could instead use my spare shoelace that is in my repair kit.

I cook the fish in my regular 1-qt titanium cook pot. I have a frying pan but do not bring it unless my husband goes with me and the trip is exclusively for fishing.