I've run the gamut from logging boots, to heavy Danner "backpacking boots" to light trail runners. I wore trail runners until I bruised my heel badly on a long trip in the Sierra that had lots of lost elevation with a pack that was too heavy, as my wife was sick and I took lots of her pack. I went back to light boots and have ended up with the Targhees, also. Since they don't have a second top eyelet, or really any way to lock your heels down with the laces, I found a Superfeet insole helped by: A. took up some room. B. they have a pronounced heel cup that locks your heel in place. C. the extra protection on the heel and arch support is a good thing. D. the Keen insoles are...well... junk.
Fit is a very subjective thing. I put a lot of miles in lately. and figure my feet are pretty toughened up, especially after a few hundred miles of mico-spike use. Yesterday, I went to several stores and tried on 15 different pairs of trail runners trying to lighten up a little. Didn't pull the trigger. The Targhees are it for me.