It seems to me that all the "data" on water purification is hearsay. How do you know if it works? You do not get sick with purified water; no double-blind test- who knows if you would not get sick WITHOUT purifying? Contamination is mostly a matter of concentration of bugs. One or two will not harm people with normal immune systems. One hundred may. Some people are able to drink vast quantities of bugs and not get sick at all.

EPA water quality standards for drinking water are based on protection of the MOST vulnerable population. Most people can tolerate far more contaminants with no ill effect.

And if you do get sick, how do you know if it is from your hands or the water?

Last thought- this is another example of our "too clean" society. Like they say - eat dirt when you are a baby and you will have a stronger immune system.

But be smart. I do not take water from a stream that sits next to an outhouse! Or flows through a field of cow pies. Or is in a pit at an abandoned mine site. There definitely are times and places for water purification, but I think we have gone over the edge of paranoia. The Forest Service simply says "treat all water" so they do not get sued. It is mostly about legal liability.