Ever since my cancer surgery, I haven't had a good night sleep. Some nights I'm up every hour or so for a trip to the bathroom. It's one of the new things I have to learn to live with. My biggest problem is getting back to sleep once I wake up. I did try a sleep aid once, and it did help me get back to sleep, but I felt too groggy on each "trip" and the morning was really hard to get up.

Thing that helps me now is putting on an audio book when I go to bed. I have a few that I've read the novels before, so when I wake up and go back to bed, I'm not lost in the place of the story, since I already know it, and I usually drift off right away. Music may work for others, but not for me. I just need to find a cheap player that can have lots & lots & lots of playing hours, and that would work for my sleeping aid.

Probably not feasible on the trail though, so will just have to keep trying to sleep normally unaided. Someone mentioned tea, which can help as well. Although for me, that's like adding fuel to the fire... or water to the bucket...