Quote:
You can't use a rear rack and panniers, but I saw a fellow that is using a daypack attached to the downtube and wearing one as well. I imagine a detachable handlebar bag would work , too.

Perhaps you were looking at 16" wheel bikes? The bike I'm trying out (it's "in the mail") comes with a rear rack. Panniers are no problem, except that you want to stay away from really long ones (with the smaller wheel size). Some will use a front pannier on the back, as they tend to be shorter, but some pannier styles are just relatively wide and short anyway.

If you google the phrase "folding bike pannier" and then click the link that says 'images', you'll see lots of examples of rear rack with panniers.

Detachable handlebar bag is, I think, a wonderful thing for folks doing touring type of rides, especially with the quick-release type of bags. Put passport, wallet, phone, etc in there, and it's easy to just *always* take your important stuff with you, even if stepping away from the bike for "just a moment".