Hello everyone!!

This summer I am going to be making the trek down into Havasupai Falls and I need some tips!

I've done a good amount of hiking and camping before, but I can't really say I have much experience "backpacking". This will only be a couple days trip, so I think it'll be a good introduction to it.

Basically you hike down this canyon til you get to the campground, setup camp, and then you spend some time soaking in the magical beauty of the falls, swimming, living the life (If you've never seen it, look it up- It's A DREAM). I think altogether it is about a 10 mile hike one way.

What is outside of my realm of knowledge is sort of like, the logistics of backpacking. Where do you put all your FOOD?! And what do you EAT?? HOW do you carry enough WATER with you!? What type of backpack do I need?? (And stuff like that, haha). I have a Camelback Helena 22 which holds a lot of water, but I don't think it is quite big enough for everything else we will need... And there are so many different backpacks, I don't even know where to begin...

Also if anyone has any reccomendations for good and moderately priced sleeping bags/pads (do I need both? I don't even know)

Fortunately I am going with a pretty experienced backpacker and since it's only one night, we may not have to pack TOO heavy. And from what I understand, since it is part of a Native American reservation, they have a couple shops in the village with food/water BUT HONESTLY I don't want to depend on that because it's expensive and plus I feel like it takes away the learning experience of backpacking.

Any other tips? PLEASE post! Thanks guys smile