I don't drink coffee normally, so don't drink it backpacking as well. And, although a nice cup of hot cocoa, or herbal tea is a nice comfort, there have been times when I don't want to cook. The easiest thing for me is summer sausage, cheese, and bagels. For an overnighter, I can easily just bring those three and not get food "bored" like if I was eating the same thing for several days. There is also beef jerky, and lots of nuts. The last couple trips I took this summer, it seemed my body craved fat more than anything. The fatty summer sausage proved the favorite. I have also done a foot long sub from subway for dinner, or even bring a an MRE or 2 with a heater packet. MREs are heavy when you compare its weight for several days against freeze dried and a stove. But for an overnighter....A stove and fuel are pretty heavy. Plus, I also break down my MREs and only bring what I absolutely need. I can also get MRE parts without having to buy a whole meal. I like the peanut butter packets, cheese packets (jalapeno cheese is the clear favorite), jelly packets, whole wheat bread, crackers, etc. In fact, some of those parts are the best option for lunches on multi-day trips.

Now that I am thinking about it... I wonder if I could reconstitute a freeze dried meal with an MRE heater? Just add water to both of them. The whole west coast could mandate that for backpackers to help prevent any type of flame. It might also be lighter.