I too find a good inflatable foam mattress significant. If you haven't checked the newer models out, do so. Skip the tent and use a tarp. Don't count on covering miles every day. I take along a good magnifying glass and small pair of binoculars and spend more time observing nature. I have never been one for taking pleasure reading on hiking trips - till I got older. Now I enjoy it. I spend more time on camp chores; for instance, where campfires are appropriate (and I spend more time in lower elevation timber country roadless areas now than rock and ice high elevation Wilderness) I cook more complex meals over a campfire, just like old timers of previous generations.

I live and hike in country with black and grizzly bears cougar and wolves. I carry a generous bottle of bear spray and am careful with food, don't sleep near the kitchen, etc. but the animals don't seem to bother me much. I sleep hard, maybe because I don't hear so well anymore.

I do have one problem, calcium deposits where the tendon connects to my heal on both feet. Pain is significant. I do therapy, but am wondering about horse liniment. Any suggestions?