Allow me a brief moment to jump on top of my soapbox and yell "don't be stupid, like me". I spent 120 straight hours in bed (minus 2 trips to the dr's office) last week for what turned out to be Lyme's Disease. Fevers upwards of 103, teeth-chattering chills and a weakness I never could have imagined.

Once the diagnosis was finalized, I spent the first few days thinking "how could this have happened? I'm always careful when I go outdoors". Well, it was a boneheaded moment that I can look back upon with disdain and mild humor. I was wearing convertible hiking pants on a camping trip with my son a few weeks ago (posted the pic of him with his first fish) and I sprayed both my son and myself with a 20% DEET bug spray. By midday, it got warm out so I zipped off the pant legs and went with shorts - AND FORGOT TO RESPRAY MY LEGS!!!

Well that was all the invitation that little bastard needed. Luckily, we caught it very early and a 3 week course of antibiotics should clear me up just fine. Lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

Just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that someone else will learn from my mistake. Be safe out there...