OK - time for a quick "soap box moment". What major Hollywood movies even come close to a true depiction of thru-hiking? I guess my point is a book is written for entertainment, same as a movie (ignoring the bigger purpose making money). As a self-proclaimed NON hard core hiker, I ask those that are hard core about it if they really have to take the topic so seriously as to vehemently refuse to go see a movie because it won't fairly represent the true nature of hiking.

I just sat and watched "Wild" over the weekend and as an amateur hiker, even I spotted dozens of mistakes she made that an experienced outdoors-person (notice the political correctness there!) never would. But I still managed to get through the movie and recognize it for what it is...a movie. It entertained me for 2 hours, more so than a tax audit or root canal, less so than an all you can eat chinese buffet, but it still entertained me. It achieved it's purpose. Therefore, I don't regret the $5 I spent to rent it on demand because for those 2 hours, I wasn't worrying about my kids (they were asleep), I wasn't thinking about work, I was just relaxing and relating to a movie...with an occasional day dream of me being out there too...

that is all...moment over...