Or you could do as I do; simply go without all those electronic gadgets. Often I do not even take a head lamp. My camera is my only electronic device that I regularly use, and that is really optional. I take a very small spare battery. If I take the I-pod for music, I simply use it until it runs out of power, then do without. I do not use a GPS. I do a lot of longer trips, up to 14 days, and have never felt the need to recharge anything. (perhaps, as I get older I'll need to recharge myself!) I backpack to get away from all the trappings of civilization, NOT to be tied to them. I feel no need to contact my family every day to let them know where I am, and they accept that. A few times a GPS would have been handy, but not necessary. Just being in the wilderness is enough entertainment for me. I write trail notes on the back of my paper maps.

To put it in perspective, the pioneers spent over a year in wagons going to the west and families may get a letter 6 months later. I remember when using the telephone was a special event. You would not think of talking more than 5 minutes long distance- too costly!

Yes, it would be nice to get current weather forecasts, but not a necessity. I think we have forgotten the difference between a "need" and "want".