10-4 as to pie pans making good frying pans. Just keep them moving and hold above the flame if it can't be turned down. Another trick is to dribble a small amount of water into a burning alcohol stove if it has an open top. One has to be very careful and only a little water will make the flame burn cooler (water has to be boiled off) while too much may extinguish the flame or float burning alcohol over the stove's top. Exercise extreme caution and do this at your own risk.

My successful experiment this morning was to line a frying pan with a round piece of parchment paper. Hubby REALLY likes his fresh fried eggs in the morning and we are about to embark on a fly-camp vacation. Space and weight considerations are in the forefront of planning, although not to the extremes of backpacking. One of our sons gave me a Teflon-coated titanium fry pan one Christmas. Of course, it doesn't conduct heat well and everything sticks like a son of a (gun). If I were to choose, I would avoid Teflon-coated pans. After burning a test egg, I tried cutting a piece of parchment paper to line the pan and tried again. I had to keep the pan moving and ended up pouring in some water and covering the pan to steam the top a bit and distribute the heat. After the eggs set up, I poured off the extra water and was able to flip the eggs. No mess in the pan and two over-easy eggs. Success! Pancakes would be a little trickier, but probably very do-able.