Thank you Perry!

I think it's a great idea too, and she's got the gumption to make it happen. We live in an area with a lot of retirees, many who have some disposable income, so I think she'll do good here.

She really needs to do something like this. She manages a clothing boutique now, and it's a good job, but she's really always been an outdoorsy person and can get a little grumpy if she's locked inside too much. Probably my fault for dragging her around with me romping through the forest so much when she was young.

This business wouldn't have worked when I was her age, but people are a lot more aware now, and the GMO thing is yet another reason that motivates people. All three of her customers are women. They all want a garden, and want to get out and work in it, but they know how fast they can get out of control and the idea of someone keeping up on it with them is pretty appealing. They're not so concerned with saving money on the food though, and when you calculate that out there's some headroom to have someone come in and help manage it for you.

That vertical garden is pretty cool. I've seen a few new articles on similar indoor grow operations for salad veggies, but nothing close to that big. We've got a few people here that have set up big hoop and plastic greenhouses. One of them has two that must be at least 60'x25'. They supply local grocers and restaurants with leaf lettuce, spinach, herb, etc.

I have another daughter who lives in Destin, and her husband has been suffering with allergies too. Must be something blooming hard down there this year. Things are just budding out here. Looks like we're in for another short cold snap soon, but it shouldn't last long. We had snow in early April last year so it wouldn't be a surprise. Our average last frost isn't until April 21st, so I'm doing pretty good getting started, but leaf lettuces and radishes should be seeded right now, and potatoes should have be planted right now too.

I didn't get anymore seed started today, but I did get compost on the rest of my raised beds and some clean up work done. Supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow so I'll focus on getting some more seeds in containers and other stuff planted.

Here's a few more pics:

The far left row is Asparagus. It should be coming up pretty soon. This has done way better than I expected. I think I planted it 4-5 years ago now and it as low maintenance as anything you can grow.

And here's a pic of my two crew members. They're always very interested in what I'm doing in that garden. Of course, they know I'm growing treats for them too. They're pretty picky though, don't like asparagus at all, but they love tomatoes. Go figure?

Edited by billstephenson (03/28/15 09:05 PM)

"You want to go where?"