Wyoming says they will charge for evacuation by helicopter (usually a private helicopter) or horse packer. If a military helicopter is used, the time is charged to practice hours, but Wyoming is quite short of military helicopters.

I've heard that New Hampshire can charge but haven't researched that rumor, since i've never hiked there.

Nearly all SAR personnel are volunteers and are strongly opposed to charging rescuees. Delays in calling for help due to fear of being charged mean a much worse situation and often greater risk to the rescuers.

I have heard that the American Alpine Club is a good source for SAR insurance at home and abroad, but, again, I've never researched. Some countries require such insurance for climbers (France, for example). The insurance can be bought locally, in the case of France from the Club Alpin Francais. At least that was true when I visited their office in Chamonix in 2000.

I'm lucky in that medical helicopter evacuation is covered by the ambulance portion of my medical benefits. Of course if it's not a medical helicopter, I'm stuck!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/24/15 01:10 PM)