Not my kind of food, for the most part, but you're the one who will be eating it, not me, so I can't judge!

For a longer trip, you need to pay lots of attention to calories per ounce and eliminating bulky packaging. But since this is a weekend trip, food weight is not that critical. Some folks take steak (frozen if it's hot weather) and beer for an overnighter!

Go ahead and take what you have ready--but take notes! What do you like or dislike when out on the trail (and tired)? How much is left over at the end of the trip? Or were you still hungry after gobbling up everything in sight? What did you crave while out there? What did you toss aside after the first bite?

You may decide that items like chips and crackers aren't that appetizing when reduced to crumbs, as often happens in backpacking. Again, that's not so critical for short trips in which there are less occasions to squash things down. And some of us are happy to eat the crumbs with a spoon.

After a few short trips, you'll have a better idea of what food works for you.

For future trips, you might also look up the site trailcooking.com, which has lots of recipes for simple one-dish meals, many based on common supermarket ingredients.

I'm still always experimenting, although less than I've done in prior years.

Have a good trip!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/17/15 12:02 AM)