Safety is something I believe needs constant vigilance. Interesting that this thread gets more woman adding to it. City life is out of control. I worry about my daughter. Feel like I need to get her out in the woods where it's safe.
I have always thought of backpacking as an extension of prepping... visa versa I guess. I know it's not very pc in this forum community but the 2 things are so related, at least for me. Being prepared to handle a situation, on the trail or in the city has always been second nature to me. Even as a kid. (Too many Batman and Spiderman comics as a kid probably)
I am constantly amazed at many people's lack of thought about safety, on trail or city but less seen on trail by virtue of the activities very nature.
Prepping does not mean one has to be nuts about it as is seen on many a media with hoarding ammo and such, just as ultralight (or at least lightweight) does not have to mean cutting your toothbrush in half. There is, in my mind at least, a perfectly rational way to think about, address and prepare for worst case scenarios without being psycho or causing undo stress. Simply thinking thru some "what ifs" is a healthy thing. What would I need if...
For example. Driving a car in Arizona without a little water in the trunk verges on complete idiocy in my opinion. Maybe a first aid kit and tow line or tarp or other shade - maker as well? It's fracking hot here and if you are out a ways...well, you get it.
Likewise on the trail. The lady who mentioned "sleepless nights" because of creeps above. Exactly. What if? Being prepared might mitigate a bit of that feeling and help if the what if happened. So glad it never did.
An oz of pepper spray beats a pound of worry. Maybe?
I have only had one violent encounter out in the wilderness in over 40 years of backpacking. It is extremely rare. I don't give it a second thought, but I do give it a first thought.

Tread lightly.

Edited by aimless (12/04/14 03:39 PM)