Thought I would post an update. I've been out hiking with the camera a few times now.

- I like the cotton carrier strapshot. My camera/lens isn't too heavy and I don't notice it affecting the comfort of my pack
- Of course I'm not hiking as long as I usually would given the same time, as I'm stopping to photography what interests me...but on the last hike I was careful to stop only when something was worth photographing, but also trying to pause here and there and take in what's around me (when the head is down, focused on the myriad of rocks/roots you can easily miss interesting scenes)
- regarding lenses, I'm getting by with the stock lens, but I'm now wanting something like an 18-135...that's wide enough and also decent telephoto. I really don't want to bring multiple lenses with me and stop hiking to fiddle.
- I haven't taken a tripod and I'm still debating whether it's too much hasle to bring one, set it up, etc. However, I often hike early in the morning and the light hasn't been great so I'm using higher ISO settings and/or smaller apetures (to avoid camera shake).

That's it for now...happy hiking and shooting.