Practice runs on unplanned nights out are very useful. When I taught at NOLS, we made every student do a "night out" with only the gear they would always take on a day-hike. Since climbing was our focus, our nights out were generally up on a mountain - a bit more severe condition than what you describe. I would only suggest that you test the extremes of your local conditions - temperature, wind and rain. Rain storms are quite variable - from the gentle drizzle to tornado like downpours with wind. Not sure if your area ever would experience the latter. If you would ever be caught out without tree cover, try that too. From what I know of your area it appears that you have plenty of forests cover. You are probably a better judge of what you need than any of us who backpack in different areas. Knowing how to utilize the natural material for warmth and shelter is just as important as bringing the right gear.

On item I always carry is a small 2x2 foot square of closed foam pad. That along with my pack, provides good insulation from the ground.

I disagree on fires being useless. First, you must be a very good fire-builder and most people nowadays do not know or have enough practice at building a survival fire. Even in a rain-soaked forest, you can always find dry wood to start the fire if you know where to look. Second, you need to know under what conditions fires work and when they do not work. If gathering wood is going to get you more soaked, hunkering down is better. On the other hand, if it is not too rainy and is very cold to freezing, fire gathering will not only warm you up but the fire will be very helpful. Survival fires are not your average campfire - you have to locate them so the heat is reflected back to you - such as a fire next to a rock wall with enough space for you to sit between the fire and the rock wall. A survival fire has been a real advantage for me on several occasions.