I went for a 8km hike this morning with my Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp. The trail is down the street from where I live and I know it well. It was dark the entire time but the sky was clear and the stars were out so there was some ambient light when the tree cover was thin...at these times I shut off the light. I have run the same trails with the light so of course hiking them was easier as I'm moving slower. I was happy with the light for these trails, because I know them, but on my gear-to-buy list is a small handheld flashlight that I would use when I need more lumens (less familiar, but not new, trails) and as a back-up.

I used my GPS wrist watch to track lenth of time per km as I had no idea how 'fast' (or slow) I walk. This will help me plan longer hikes on weekends so I know how long it would take approx to cover x distance...taking into account challenge of terrain and that the longer I hike likely the slower I am towards the end.

I must say, I love 'getting into' a new activity. So much to read, learn and absorb.

Cheers!