Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I've seen so many blurbs about using military surplus stuff lately. I've got to get to the local surplus store and check out what's there.

I got out in 98 so a lot of the stuff is new to me. The complete ECWCS (Extended Cold Weather Clothing System) is made by Patagonia IIRC, and sets the gov't back over $2000 per set. It's supposedly very good, with 7 different levels that can be worn alone or together in various combinations depending on the weather. Up till the mid-90s or so, issued cold weather gear was pretty much the same as troops had been issued in the Korean War - warm enough in most cases but very bulky and heavy, and except for the wool parts, nearly useless when wet.

I like the older-style Gore-Tex parkas and pants, right now I have a set (without the stashable hood) in the 3-color desert camo that I hardly ever wear because it's overkill in most ways. If I ever head out on a trek or journey where my outer layer is the difference between life and death, I'll wear these because I know how rugged they are from experience.

Backpacks are rugged but very heavy, and generally don't have much in the way of practical pockets. But you can strap them down on top of a tracked vehicle or drag them through the dirt. I just sold my large ALICE pack that I'd had for at least 25 years, the frame had been replaced a few times but the pack itself was still in great shape other than a few small holes. I may put my Gen IV MOLLE pack w/frame up for sale before long, too, if anyone is interested. It is HUGE - far bigger than I see myself ever needing. The total volume of the pack, including the sleeping bag pcoket, has got to be close to 90l.